What has Grace High School taught me?

Shall I list all the virtues I embody today, all the pride and respect for my school so typical of a Grace High student? Shall I say that Grace High has taught me honesty and tolerance? That I have learned to love the acquisition of knowledge from my years at Grace High? Would it suffice to say that Grace High has taught me to prepare myself for my future?

No; Grace High has taught me so much, so very much that I can scarcely remember what I knew before. If I were to actually attempt the Herculean task of listing it all, I believe I would begin at the beginning, when I entered the gates of GHS, confused, terrified yet excited, as a child of ten.

Shall I try, then?

In my first year at GHS, in 5th grade, I learned the art of self-study. I learned to read voraciously, greedily, endlessly, every line of text that dared cross my path, and I was taught to take pride in my capacity for knowledge. I learned that it is impossible to please everyone, and was taught that it was tragicomically foolish to try. I discovered that Grace High’s numerous buildings for varied purposes, with their cream walls and shingled roofs together made GHS a little town; dusty, sleepy and uniquely ours to thrive in.

In my second year at GHS, I learned to be assertive and was taught how to say no. I learned that people are mean and usually stupid, but was taught to recognize those who aren’t. I was taught the basics of making friends. I learned how to seek out people like myself, and complete a meaningful conversation with them. I began learning the grueling algorithms of working with others.

In my third year at GHS I learned so much more. I learned the merits of confidence and the perils of over-confidence. I discovered how to utterly and completely butcher hatchling friendships and how to trample over other people, having become immune to the tugs of conscience. I learned, ruefully, that I needed those very same people and that an apology would not do. Mercifully, I was taught how to start over, slowly, step by baby step.

In my fourth year at GHS, i.e. 8th grade, I was taught introductory chemistry, biology, physics, geography, civics and algebra. I learned that I did not like them very much.

In my fifth year at GHS I learned that there are various degrees of intelligence: smart, clever, brainy, witty, intellectual and brilliant. I discovered that my future revolved around which category I fit into. I was taught to emulate brilliance. I was taught that there is a cost to pay for all activities, and learned that my choice of sacrifice would reinforce my allegiance to my level of intelligence.

In my sixth year at GHS, I learned the importance of moderation in all things. I tried to balance extra-curricular activities with co-curricular and curricular activities. I had my first taste of hard work and extra tuition and I am thankful, just as a malaria patient is grateful for saline or injections.

In my seventh year at GHS I learned how to adapt to rapid changes. I was plunged face-first into a hurricane of concepts and formulas. I was lost; utterly disoriented but Grace High held my hand and led the way into my eighth year here. 

This year, I learned how to make impossibly difficult decisions. Oh, I was taught so much – how to differentiate, how to integrate, how to distinguish between DNA and RNA, and how to successfully complete investigatory projects. I was taught to try to manage my time better, to ask questions shamelessly and incessantly and to seek help if I need it.

So: modesty, integrity, tolerance, confidence, independence, hard work, creativity, pride and principles. It seems Grace High has kept its promise.

But that is not all. Grace High has taught me to respect my peers and my parents and to honor my teachers.

Thank you, Grace High School for teaching me to be a world citizen, devoid of prejudices, and honest to myself. I have learned to learn with pleasure and strive to achieve perfection in whatever I shall do.


Thank you, Grace High School, for preparing me for the future I have chosen for myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

angsty breakup post

~xo~

#ArtStudent